While MOST preparations are on hold until we know the gender, there are a few things I've been able to take care of since feeling better.
* We have enrolled in Bradley classes...yay! These are classes designed to prepare you for natural childbirth (which, Lord willing, we want to accomplish!) and focus on father-as-coach.
* We have met with a potential doula (a lady that lends support during childbirth) and are about to make our final decision. This is big for us because, since we are attempting natural childbirth, we want someone with us who has been through it, who has plenty of experience with helping couples accomplish this goal, and who has the same vision of childbirth as well. Since we are delivering at a hospital, I want to make sure we have as much support in this area as possible, as I know I will definitely NOT be able to make decisions very well the day of! And, praise the Lord, our potential doula is a believer and would be praying for us all the way up to and during labor for our family!
* I have been reading, reading, reading!....which is the main reason I have chosen to do everything in my power (as we know these things are already pre-determined by the Lord and are ultimately according to HIS will) to have a natural childbirth!
* We have GRACIOUSLY been given a stroller/car seat and infant bath already by some dear friends....along with ALL the maternity clothes I'll ever need!
* We are researching/leaning towards cloth diapers; I know it won't be the easiest or most fun to deal with but our budget will be tight when I quit work, and this is one way I can honor my husbands' care and provision for us by saving a good chunk of money each month! And, besides, they are not NEARLY as gross as they used to be! (I'm not entirely out of my mind...if we go this route, we will probably look into diaper service for the first few months so that I'm not doing laundry every two days while EXHAUSTED!)
* With that said, we are fervently praying and looking for a new place. We LOVE the apartment we are in and it would definitely be hard to leave, but we would really love to be in a place with a washer and dryer (especially for all those diapers!) in the unit, along with a small yard, and extra storage. Again, we know this is ultimately in the Lord's hands, and will be content to stay here longer if a new place isn't what He has for us.
* I am STARTING to look into registries but it is OVERWHELMING! How do you decide between what is necessary, nice to have, and just going overboard???
* We already have names picked out (have since we were dating) and are just waiting to know what we are having to reveal the names to the world! :)
I THINK that's all we've accomplished so far. THANKFUL that I have been feeling better so that we can knock some stuff out (as I am an insane planner/organizer)!
Waiting (somewhat impatiently) for May 20th so that we can find out the gender and get the ball rolling on decorations and more gender specific things!
:)
Great little update! Just wanted to mention the best natural child birth book out there right now that is not insanely outdated is Your Best Birth by Ricki Lake. AMAZING!! Also wanted to mention that after trying out two different brands of cloth diapers (bummies and gdiapers) I would DEF spend the extra money on all in ones, like bum genius 4.0. Hope this helps! :)
ReplyDeleteOne of the lessons God taught me with our baby was that I didn't need nearly as fancy (or new) for that matter stuff that I thought I did- For one because the options here are limited and what we do have is so expensive. But we were on a very limited budget and people gave us hand me downs. Not what I would have bought but they were free :) and you know what I learned- they worked. And Carol Marie is none the worse for not having a wipe warmer or a fancy cool stroller. But man, I have to tell you that was a humbling hard lesson for me who discovered I am a little materialistic . Anyway, your post just made me think of the lesson I learned and wanted to share. So excited for you!
ReplyDeletehi lovely! here is a great post my best friend wrote on what she loves (and uses) for her baby, and things she bought and doesn't use. hope it helps!!
ReplyDeletehttp://petalandthornhandmades.blogspot.com/2011/04/love-it-leave-it.html
she did a natural birth too... at home in her living room! LOL i hope that you are able to achieve your desire for a natural birth! xoxo