Tuesday, May 3, 2011

One Kentucky Derby and a Bride-to-Be!

While this past weekend was supposed to be all about fun, and the majority of it was, it started out with me getting a nasty "bug," rendering Friday completely useless in the way of fellowship and getting stuff done. Thankfully, I was feeling better by Saturday afternoon, just in time to get some errands run and go to our college ministry's "Spring Fling."

The theme of our Spring Fling was "Run for the Roses"....Kentucky derby style....and, for once, I actually enjoyed "dressing up." Here we are....could I pass for a Southern belle? :)


It was a wonderful time, catching up with the college "kids," eating an incredible three course dinner prepared by our wonderful kitchen ministry (seriously; I think they should be open for business weekends...we might be able to pay off our building debt with the money they'd bring in!), placing "predictions" (we don't bet...LOL) on our team horses, and learning all about horse racing and how we can apply the principles of racing and endurance to the Christian walk. I think a great time was had by all!


Sunday brought about a relatively "new" experience for me; throwing a shower! I am organized, yes; I am a planner, yes, but I am NOT a organized party planner! It was stepping WAY out of my comfort zone and I decided that simplicity would be my best friend for my first go-around.

Thankfully, sweet Justine offered to host the shower, and a few girls helped me get it all set up!


I think it was a success! Everyone came, enjoyed the treats, played the games (one was a coloring contest...we (me and the bride!) LOVE to color so we had to include that), prepared decorations for the wedding, and I survived giving my first ever devotion (thanks for pushing me, Jules!). Besides realizing I was the oldest one in the bunch, it was a fantastic afternoon!

Now...onto the reason for the shower! The shower was in honor of a girl that I just adore...Miss Emily! Emily and I met when Brandon and I starting serving in the college ministry back in 2009. I was instantly drawn to her gentle and quiet disposition, her heart for purity, and, most importantly, her overwhelming love for the Lord. I had the pleasure of being her small group leader for three semesters, learning more from her than she could EVER learn from me. We have enjoyed many "coloring" dates (we sit around and chat while coloring :), a few get-togethers with our husband/husband to-be, and have just had wonderful and edifying conversations over the last two years. I have truly been blessed to know her and I know, without a doubt, that she is going to be an incredible, godly wife! I am so excited to see her get married in a month and am blessed to be able to be a part of that day as a bridesmaid (or is it matron? LOL).


Thanks, Em, for letting me be a part of the journey....I cannot wait to see what the Lord has in store for you and Ryan! Love ya!

1 comment:

  1. Your hair has gotten so long...I remember you chopped it right after you got married! You looked so different to me in your derby picture! So fun!!!

    Becky B.

    ReplyDelete