Today's topic is your favorite quote. Honestly, I tend to have a new favorite quote every day since I read so extensively. Because of that, it's difficult to even retain or remember where "favorite" quotes are located or where I heard them. So, today I'll just jot down some of the quotes that I have come across recently in my readings that have really "spoken" to me. These are all taken from Elisabeth Elliot's book, Keep a Quiet Heart.
On self...
"Why all that hideous suffering for the pure Son of God? Here's why: There was no other way to deliver us from the hell of our own proud self-loving selves, no other way out of the bondage of self-pity and self-congratulation. How shall we take our stand beneath the cross of Jesus and continue to love the selves that put Him there? How can we survey the wondrous cross and at the same time feed our pride? No. It won't work. Jesus put it simply: If you want to be My disciple, you must leave self behind, take up the cross, and follow Me."
"It is good for us to look at self and know how loathsome it is, but with one look at self we must take ten looks at Christ...."
On waiting...
"Waiting requires patience- a willingness calmly to accept what we have or have not, where we are or where we wish we were, whomever we live or work with...to want what we don't have is to mistrust God...Restlessness and impatience change nothing except our peace and joy....nothing touched Him without His Father's permission. Nothing touches me without my Father's permission....If I mean to be obedient and submissive to the Lord because He is my Lord, I must not forget that whatever He allows to happen becomes, for me, is His will at the moment."
"Let's never forget that some of His greatest mercies are His refusals. He says no in order that He may, in some way we cannot imagine, say yes. All His ways with us are merciful. His meaning is always love."
On keeping a quiet heart...
"A quiet heart is content with what God gives. It is enough."
"All is under my Father's control: yes, recalcitrant computers, faulty transmissions, drawbridges which happen to be up when one is in a hurry. My portion. My cup. My lot is secure. My heart can be at peace. My Father is in charge. How simple!"
"Our enemy delights in disquieting us. Our Savior and Helper delights in quieting us."
"The secret is Christ is me, not a different set of circumstances."
Even from just one book there are so many more wonderful thoughts to ponder. Keep a Quiet Heart was a blessing to my soul!
The quotes I just shared are only a tiny fraction of favorites (from ONE book!)...I feel like I am short-changing my answer, and you, by not including more, but there's just not enough time, or space, to do so. Maybe I'll start randomly posting "favorite quotes" as I continue on my journey of reading so that I can share them with you in the moment, and have a single place to return to in order to revisit them.
Happy Sunday!

No comments:
Post a Comment