Friday, November 19, 2010

Day #3: Favorite Teacher

Another really difficult topic for me...so many teachers affected my life in so many ways. Instead of picking a favorite, I am going to highlight some of the most significant and why...

Ms. Buntrock- 5th Grade: She was always joyful and tried to make any lesson enjoyable and meaningful. She was my teacher the year my mother died and went out of her way to spend extra time with me at recess to talk through my feelings or just allow me to cry. She also shared my insatiable love for Lucille Ball and would allow me to bring in I Love Lucy and other various Lucille Ball movies to watch and share with the class! :)

Mr. Boice- 6th Grade: My first male teacher. He was the teacher that led me to Christ through his example. He always had something encouraging to say and always knew just what to say and when to say it.


Ms. Personett- 8th Grade, Science: The first time the word science didn't leave a bad taste in my mouth was upon entering her class. Science was exciting. Science was fun. Science always connected back to our lives in very tangible ways. On top of that, she had an incredibly kind heart and reminded me much of my own mother.



Mr. Brache- 9th & 10th Grade, Spanish: This man was just so darn encouraging and made learning Spanish so fun! (I had taken 4 years of Spanish previous to this and hated it!) Coffee and salsa dancing were always included in daily lessons! We also went on many missions trips down to Mexicali, Mexico together...the picture below is from one of those trips.



Mrs. Hagberg- 10th Grade, Honors English: She let the avid reader/writer in me come out. She would extend independent reading time in class just so I could get through my beloved books. She encouraged my poetry writing as a release for my feelings and my faith. It was during my time in her class that I had my first poem published in an amateur anthology.

Mr. Behrend- 11th Grade, AP U.S. History: This man is responsible for my LOVE of History. I ate up his summer reading on Reconstruction and projects on World War II and was challenged to amp up my critical thinking skills in his class. He is the reason why I chose U.S. History as my concentration in college and why, one day, I would love to teach history in High-school or a J.C.

Mr. Endacott- 11th Grade, AP Biology: There was never a dull moment in his class. Learning about the krebs cycle, mitosis, photosynthesis, and the like was never more intriguing or exciting. He would purposely make a fool of himself simply to convey a science concept and it worked, because I probably remember more content from his class than any other one I have been in.


As you have probably noticed, there is a theme: teachers that cared, teachers that inspired. They had an impact on my life because they cared about who I was and they were passionate about the subjects they taught. I can only hope that I have had a fraction of the impact on my students as they have had on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment