Sunday, November 28, 2010

Day #12: OCD

I'm quite sure there are many things I am OCD about and my friends will probably help point them all out. Ha! But the one I know I am definitely OCD about and which drives many of my other "quirks" (to put it nicely) goes with the saying,

"A place for everything, everything in it's place." 
~ Benjamin Franklin


I am borderline crazy when it comes to everything needing to be in it's proper place. I can't leave the house or go to bed without putting everything back where it belongs (even throw pillows)! Most of the time my husband goes with it but once in a while he has to take my hand and lead me away, either when it's midnight and we have to go to bed or when we are running late for an event because of my OCD habits. 

For the most part it is a fantastic habit to have. Our apartment isn't strewn with random objects all over the place because as I leave one room, I carry five items out that belong somewhere else. I am constantly picking up as I go and, because of that, I never have to spend much time straightening up. That's good, right?

But I know I have to draw a line somewhere and get over the need to do this no.matter.what. I learned this the hard way when, one morning, we got an emergency call and needed to leave right away. Me, being the OCD person that I am, couldn't leave my cup of coffee and bowl of cereal in the bedroom (you know, bugs might get to it in less than an hour...sarcasm, I realize how dumb that is NOW). Sooo...I grabbed up my cup and bowl, along with my shoes and coat, (and probably other things that rightfully belonged in another room) and turned to rush...loosing my grip and spilling my cereal, coffee, and liquid vitamins (bright orange!) all.over. The bed. The floor. The nightstand. Everywhere. Needless to say, my OCD personality then refused to leave all that soaking into the bed and the carpet so my husband left to attend to the emergency and I stayed to clean up.

I know. Shameful. I have a problem. Hi. My name is Meghan and I'm obsessive-compulsive. Don't ever call me in an emergency. I'll feel the need to clean up first.

Yes. I would say that I am OCD. 

I am working on it. Really. Well, I am trying to at least reserve it for non-emergency moments. :{




3 comments:

  1. i love your ocd :)
    and awww i remember "that morning"... you are too funny. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol- its ok to have some OCD issues! I definitely have them too- although all of mine are random........like with laundry and dishes: all the clean ones have to go underneath what is already in the drawers and cabinets- that way everything gets used equally :) I know....very weird!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, Tom had these tendencies. I would tease him a bit and it upset him. He would say "I think these are admirable qualities" and I would agree. However, my teasing was to try to get him to lighten up a bit.... I'm just glad that some of it rubbed off on me.

    <3
    -Audj

    ReplyDelete