Friday, October 15, 2010

Day #5 Siblings

To continue on with Katie's 30-Day Challenge...

SIBLINGS!

Meet Tom. Meet Audrey.
(Obviously from R to L in the picture...I do things backwards)


Tom is my brother from another mother, if you will. 1/2 siblings we are...with the Shannon blood coursing through our veins. That's right...we share the same dad.
We had a large gap of 18 years between us but I don't think that ever really stopped us from being close. We didn't see each other all the time but we had a special bond, nonetheless. He did his share of antagonizing me; I did my share of digging up his dead rodents buried in the backyard...you know, brother-sister love.

He was an uber-cool older brother, though. He bought me my first set of Crayola crayons, was in a band, had a black widow/guitar tattoo that I referred to as "dirt," had longer hair than me most of the time, could beat up anybody that was bothering me (he didn't however; he was too sweet), would give me guy advice, and actually liked hanging out with his much-younger sis. I adored him.

By now, you've probably noticed that I have been writing in the past-tense. It's not a mistake.
Unfortunately, brain cancer claimed my brother in 2002 after a two year battle; he being 36 years young. I miss him to this day but he filled so many of my years with his crazy, brotherly antics that I will never forget him.

Thankfully, before he left, he brought Audrey into our family so I have an awesome SIL to share memories with, along with new adventures. She lives in WA state but we managed to get her to come visit this year and will pester her to continue the trek down. Love you Aud!


My sibling post wouldn't be complete without...Aaron!
(He's the tall, good-looking one below)

Aaron is my brother-in-law, Brandon's older brother.
Sadly, I never had the chance to meet Aaron. He, along with my brother Tom, lost a long battle to cancer...at the tender age of 11.
It's simply amazing that, from hearing memories alone, I miss this guy so much. He was (is) so much a part of my husband's heart...and that overflows into my own. I can only imagine that he would have made an awesome brother-in-law and I am so sad that I did not have the chance to know him personally.
And I pray, dearly, that, should the Lord bless us with a son, he should look like his uncle Aaron (seriously, his baby pictures were adorable...Brandon's on the other hand...) :)


We miss our brothers but we are thankful to have each other, understanding what it is like to loose a brother and live the rest of our lives with that hole in our family, in our hearts.

Tom and Aaron, you are missed but your memories live on and, one day, your nieces and nephews will be told of how great their uncles were.

No comments:

Post a Comment