{{Warning: If you do not like cats...please don't read on...I don't need you rolling your eyes at me.}}
For those of you that didn't know; I am a cat lover. As I have stated in a previous post, if I hadn't gotten married, I would have become the crazy cat lady.
I have had a total of four cats in my life. Three were in our family before I existed and remained with us until I was in highschool. I loved those cats so much, especially one in particular: Genji. They were my childhood friends.
And yet, those kitties pale in comparison to MY kitty, Screamer.
Yes, you read correctly, Screamer. He acquired his name on the car ride home from the shelter and proved his name true his entire life.
He picked me out when I walked into the shelter that brisk December day in 2000 and we instantly forged a sweet and unique bond that words cannot describe. So much so, that, while I ended up needing stitches in my upper lip because of his skittishness, I loved him still.
And now, I sit here...heart crushed. Last Thursday, at 5:30am, I learned that my Screamy was gone...forever. He left this world instantly, with no warning, no opportunity to say good-bye. Just shy of 10 years old...young for a cat. I cried as I have not cried in a very long time. Part of me is gone. And, while other hurts in my life were soothed by his warm body curled up beside mine, this one remains raw.
You say, "But Meghan, he was just a cat."
Yes, yes. He was just a cat...but along with that, so much more. A faithful friend. A comforter. A playmate.
I raised him, loved him, took care of him. It saddened me to have him live with my parents when I could no longer have him, but I knew he was just a short drive away. Now, that drive holds a heaviness to it, instead a joyful expectation of welcome home cuddles and beatings.
There will be...No more cuddles. No more "hide and seek." No more ear rubs. No more chases. No more "follow the leader." No more catch. No more strolls around the backyard. No more "gifts." No more early morning wake-up calls. No more screams. No more. No more.
Yet, while there will always be a "Screamer" sized hole in my heart, I can smile a little. I can smile at the 10 years I had with him and all the memories, photographs, and scars. Time will never take those away from me.
Love you Screamy...as only your crazy cat lady momma could!
Oh Meghan, I'm so so sorry. And I hope that no one rolls your eyes at you - this is a genuine loss, and I hope that you can take the time and space you need to grieve (I'm totally serious - you know how much I love my dogs!). Lots of hugs.
ReplyDeleteI totally understand...I grew up with many kitties, but I would be VERY upset if our sweet Rusty passed. We've grown to love him very dearly!
ReplyDelete