Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Tidy Tuesday!

For my very first Tidy Tuesday topic: meal planning!

Being on a food budget makes me very conscience of what I cook and what my spending limit is every week for food.

Even if you aren't on a food budget, meal planning is still helpful on so many levels. Not only do you have your weekly meals planned out ahead of time so you aren't standing in front of the fridge, starving, trying to figure out what to eat, you also can walk into a grocery store and not pace up and down each aisle, getting side-tracked by all the expensive and unhealthy junk food that is so enticing. Now that I plan my meals I hardly ever (no lie) walk out of the store with unnecessary (read: candy, chips, cookies, etc) items.

Here's are some tips to successful meal planning:

* Plan your meals out the day before you go shopping (my shopping day is Monday, so I plan Sunday night)
* I usually plan for 3-4 meals per week, assuming leftovers for one or two nights and eating out once or twice. This depends on your preference, your budget.
* Write down your planned meals somewhere where you won't forget or in a visible place where all family members can see (and get excited!) Here's what I do:



I (with the help of my friend Julie) found this super cool chalkboard at Home Goods for a pretty good price. I LOVE it!
Decorative and informative!


As you plan, make a shopping list of everything you need to make that week's meals.
(Many times, I try to plan in such a way that I can use an ingredient for more than one meal so that I don't waste food or money.)
* When shopping, STICK TO YOUR LIST!!! This is the most important part to meal planning, especially when on a budget. After all, this is a big reason why you would plan out your meals. So, if you go in with only 10 items on your list, walk out with only 10 items!
* Finally...enjoy! No more wondering for dinner...just look at your calendar and start cooking!


Review of benefits:
~ You don't have to wonder about what's for dinner each night.
~ Your family members won't hassle you either; they can look at a calendar to figure out what they are having for dinner!
~ Your grocery trips are faster (I can get in and out within 10 minutes when I stick to my list!).
~ You won't buy as much junk food or misc. items.
~ You save money!
~ Everyone's happy!

Hope that was helpful!

3 comments:

  1. AHHHH I LOVE TIDY TUESDAYS!!! what an awesome idea!!
    and LOVE that chalkboard... and your perfect handwriting!!! such a teacher!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I concur....plan your meals. Mom did it...I do it! I don't even know how people grocery shop without planning their meals!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always loved your chalkboard ... one day I hope to have one! :)

    ReplyDelete