Saturday, November 6, 2010

Day #27: Pets

This blogger challenge is coming to an end...only three more days!

Todays topic is pets...and I have had my fair share of them!

Three cats were in the family before I arrived and stayed well into my teenage years: Genji, Bumper, and Neko. Strange names, I know. They were the reasons why I am a cat person today and would have turned me into the "crazy cat lady" had I not gotten married.

Genji, my personal favorite

Bumper and Neko (son & mother)

I think the first pets that were "mine" were two crabs...I named them Kelly and Brian after two of my friends. I was about three years old. I know that I don't have a picture of them but they are on video tape somewhere around here.

I had various fish as well but I was never good at keeping them alive, somehow managing to accidently pour them down the drain when I was attempting to clean the tank. : ( Whoops.

My real sickness came in the form of: hamsters! I received my first one when I was about five, from my older cousin for Christmas, and got hooked on them! And when I say hooked...yes, that's what I mean. At my "peak" I had over 20 hamsters living in 9 cages IN.MY.ROOM. People said they smelled terrible...I didn't notice. :v Looking back, I don't know what.I.was.thinking! My children will never get away with that!

This is just one of them!

Finally, as mentioned in previous posts, my most recent pet (more like child) was Screamer, my cat. I would go into more detail but I'll just refer you back to this post I wrote last month when he suddenly, and very unexpectedly, passed away.

However...he's just too cute, so here is a "before" picture of him; before he became a "beast" (when you see the other picture of him, you'll understand...at the end he weighed near 20 pounds...all muscle).



I don't foresee having anymore pets in the near future, mainly because we live in an apartment where they aren't allowed. My husband is a complete dog person, I, obviously, a cat person. While I don't like the idea of taking care of dogs, we'll probably end up with those as pets. I can't see having another cat so maybe, just maybe, one day I will be referred to as a "dog person," although I don't see that happening anytime soon. :)

2 comments:

  1. I grew up with cats all my life...NEVER thought I'd be into dogs. I'm so surprised how much I adore our dog, Rusty now! They are more work then cats, but it's been worth it! (Just don't get a dog if you have lots of little babies, cause they are like having another baby). I love how cats are so easy and independent, too, but with where we live, they wouldn't survive the coyote population!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You were a hamster hoarder!! :O hahah...jk...kinda :)

    oh...and when i was little we had a dog AND a cat & they were best friends 7 loved each other. (: So, even though Brandon is a dog person and you are a cat person, doesn't mean you can't have both <3

    ReplyDelete