Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Day #10: Something You're Afraid Of

There is only one thing I am afraid of...deathly afraid of...been-to-a-pychologist kind of afraid of (although that was my parents' idea, not mine)....



EARTHQUAKES!


No, they are not "fun." They are down-right terrifying, even the "little ones." 

After the Northridge quake in '94 I refused to sleep in my own room for over a year...then I got braver and moved to the hallway...finally back in my room sleeping after a year and a half but always with my lights on...always. Even until I got married I had to fall asleep with the t.v. on so that I would have light and noise going and wouldn't get freaked out by "creaking" noises.

They are not my friends. They are not a roller-coaster to enjoy. No, THANK-YOU.

However, they fascinate me. I love learning about earthquakes; I guess it's my way of facing my fear. I feel like the more I know, the less afraid I'll be (although that hasn't actually been the case so far). 
I actually subscribe to the USGS reports; I receive an email anytime there is an earthquake over 4.0 within 1,000 miles of here. I like to be informed. :)

And the Lord was humorous in having us move to an apartment that "shakes" every time a neighbor walks down their hall or closes their car door down below. This has helped my nerves a bit but I've just learned how to distinguish between "real" and "neighbor" earthquakes better. The fear is in no way gone.

And I live in California. How funny. 
I'm looking into moving before the "big one."




No comments:

Post a Comment